Campus Map

Campus Map

Click anywhere on the map to see wider view of the map



X
Main Gate

1Main Gate

Main gate was newly-built in year 1990 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Sogang University and IHS in Greek letters, which represents Jesus. It is located in about 400 meters away from the Sinchon station(Subway Line No. 2).

X
Albatross Tower

2Albatross Tower

The symbol of Sogang University, the Albatross, is named after the white bird of the sea and is shaped in the image of the first two letter of Sogang written in Korean alphabets as “ㅅ” and “ㄱ.” This tower was designed and donated by the alumni association to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Sogang University. On the central part of this monument are the words "Obedire Veritati", which means "Obey the truth" in Latin.

X
Administration Bldg.

3Administration Bldg.

Administration Building was constructed in November 1959, which consists of 1 basement floor and 4 ground floors with the area of 4,184 square meters. This building was modernly constructed and locates the Office of the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Office of the President also the administrative offices such as Office of One Stop Service, Planning Affairs, Academic Affairs, General Affairs, Office of University Cooperation and administrative meeting room of 80 square meters wide.

X

4Economics Bldg. (under construction)

X
Jesuit Community

5Jesuit Community

Jesuit Community is the residence and the research laboratory of the members of the Society of Jesus at Sogang University. Completed in December 1962 with 3 floors and the area of 2,044 square meters, which can accommodate up to 37 people. The building is also named as the Jesuit Residence.

X
Samsung Gabriel Hall

6Samsung Gabriel Hall

Samsung Gabriel Hall originates from Gabriel, one of the four archangels of God. Gabriel, in the Old Testament, was mentioned as the archangel who appeared to the prophet Daniel, delivering explanations of Daniel’s visions(Daniel 8:15-26) and in the New Testament, Gabriel appeared to the virgin Mary foretelling the births of John the Baptist and Jesus(Luke 1:11-38). So the building was named after Gabriel, the archangel, who delivers the news to God, wishing that Sogang University to be the center in the media field.
This hall was completed in February 1997, which consists of 1 basement floor and 7 ground floors with the area of 6,767 square meters. It was constructed to nurture virtuous journalists and for the links between the schools and the industry. It locates the School of Communication(Undergraduate Program), Graduate School of Media Communications, Graduate School of Mass Communication, TV studio and radio studio of commercial broadcasting standard. Also locates multimedia room and seminar rooms performing a function as the media center.

X
Kumho Asiana Paulus Hall

7Kumho Asiana Paulus Hall

Saint Paul was a well-known preacher of Christianity and generally considered as one of the most important figures of Christianity until the present day. Although he spent his life being imprisoned, he accomplished his mission as the “Apostle of the Gentiles” by successfully establishing the basis of Christianity. Since Saint Paul was an intellect, he also placed great emphasis on physical labor like building tent by himself and etc.
Kumho Asiana Paulus Hall, in the memory of the minds of the Saints, was constructed in February 2010, which consists of 2 basement floors and 9 ground floors with the area of 8,521.8 square meters. This hall locates classrooms, reading rooms, group study rooms, instructor’s office, dormitory and etc.

X
Thomas More Hall

8Thomas More Hall

Thomas More (1477-1535) was an English lawyer, author, social philosopher, statesman in the 15th century, also known to Roman Catholics as Saint Thomas More. In year 1517, More opposed the theology of Martin Luther’s Protestant Reformation and protected the Roman Catholic Church, also through Catholic Church, insisted peace and social justice. In year 1935, Pope Pius XI canonized More and in year 2000, Pope John Paul II, declared More as the heavenly Patron of Statesmen and Politicians.
In March 2012, Thomas More Hall completed its construction as the general education hall consisting 1 basement floor and 6 ground floors. The hall provides the best environment to study and locates reading room, group study room, information archive and etc. And it is also used for the classes and graduate schools of Judicial examination, Foreign affairs administrative level 5 open recruitment examination, Patent attorney examination, Certified public accountant, Preparation for media companies examination and Graduate school of Law.

X
Matthew Hall

9Matthew Hall

Saint Matthew was a Jewish tax collector for the Roman Empire and was called by Jesus Christ to be an Apostle. He was also known as the author of the first Gospel of the New Testament. Also he went around Jewish area and the East to preach the message of God and be martyred in Ethiopia. So this hall was named after and in remembrance of Matthew, who was the patron saint of bankers and bookkeepers.
The Matthew Hall was completed in August 2001, which consists of 2 basement floors and 9 ground floors with a area of 16,246 square meters. And Sogang Business School(Undergraduate Programs), Graduate Schools and Sogang Business School(Graduate Programs) are located. This hall is facilitated with air conditioning and heating systems, the classrooms and seminar rooms are facilitated with the advanced AV-System, and also the students’ rest lounges are available. The library of latest style and video conference room and wide reception hall for international conferences are available which are suitable for the digital information era.

X
Mary Hall

10Mary Hall

Mary Hall was established in year 1970 as the first professional theatre of the university. In year 2004, this hall was remodeled as the adjustable theatre for professional multipurpose performances with 355 seats available and in year 2008, installed small theatre of 140 seats additionally including the various sizes of play performances and film screenings available.

X
Saint lgnatius House

11Saint lgnatius House

Saint Ignatius House was named after in remembrance of Saint Ignatius Loyola (1491~1556), the founder of the Society of Jesus. This building consists of the area of 4,058 square meters and locates Catholic church and Campus Ministry office so it is used as the place to cure the Catholics’ souls in the Sinchon area. Also with the Student Counseling Center located in this building, it is the central place for the intellectual youth meetings. It locates classroom of 500 seats with the simultaneous interpretation facilities, air conditioning and heating system, residence for visiting professors from overseas, VIP rooms and etc. So it is used as the general area for the international cooperation in preparation for the internationalization of Sogang University.

X
Loyola Garden

12Loyola Garden

Loyola Garden locates benches and rest area also connected with the hiking trail of Nogosan that is 106 meter above sea level. In the center of the garden, locates a statue in remembrance of Saint Ignatius Loyola(1491~1556), the founder of the Society of Jesus.

X
Emmaus Hall

13Emmaus Hall

Emmaus, which appears in the Gospel of Luke, at Luke (24:13-35) “On the road to Emmaus,” is a name of the town located approximately 7 miles (11 km) northwest of Jerusalem, which has significant meaning as the place for meeting Jesus. So this hall was named with the hope for it to be settled as the central area for the Sogang University’s faculty, staff, students and etc. to meet and invite one another. This hall consists of 3 ground floors and the area of 3,436.3 square meters wide with making the best use of the natural topography, locates 65 student club activity rooms and in 2nd floor locates the grandstand that can hold up to 1,500 people simultaneously. Also in 3rd floor, the student cafeteria is located and the roof is used as the rest area.

X
Loyola Library

14Loyola Library

Completed in February 1974, with annexes added in year 1982 and 1997, the Library is a modern building with 3 buildings combined and the area of 13,901 square meters. As the first open-stack library in Korea, it holds over 1,000,000 books and 6,000 kinds of periodicals, over 40,000 reference materials, various kinds of microforms, audio visual materials and various kinds of digital materials. Based on the computerized operation system, it provides cutting edge knowledge and data appropriate for digital information era. Also through internet available PCs, the users can adapt to the digital information era by searching for various types of information around the world.

X
Choe Yangeop Hall

15Choe Yangeop Hall

Father Thomas Choe Yang-eop (1821~1861) was the first Roman Catholic seminary student in Korea and the second priest after Saint Kim Daegon. Thomas Choe, as the eldest son of Saint Francis Choe Kyeong-hwan and Maria Yi Seong-rye who were martyred in year 1839, when the Gihae Persecution took place. In year 1836, he was chosen as the seminarian and studied in Macao and northern part of Manchuria area. After studying few years there, in year 1849, he was finally ordained to the Priesthood in Shanghai. As the first Korean priest, he went to Liaodong area and began pastoral ministry for Chinese. As soon as he arrive in his homeland, he solely focused to apostolate for about 11 years and 6 months. He particularly visited the Catholics who were hiding in different locations and apostled. Also he wrote catholic songs to spread the missionaries in Korea.
Choe Yangeop Hall is completed in year 2009 and consists of 5 ground floors. This hall locates Sogang Institute for Whole-person Education, which was established in December 2011, Sogang Center for Writing(SCW), Center for Teaching and Learning(CTL), Center for Spirituality and etc.

X
Xavier Hall

16Xavier Hall

Xavier Hall is named after in remembrance of Saint Francis Xavier, who was the Catholic priest of the Society of Jesus and the missionary in the East. This hall was completed in December 1976, which consists of 1 basement floor and 5 ground floors with the area of 6,491 square meters. It locates Sogang Law School, classrooms of School of Integrated Knowledge, faculty offices and etc.

X
Dasan Hall

17Dasan Hall

Dasan Hall is named after in remembrance of Dasan Jeong Yak-yong (1762-1836), who compiled the Silhak(practical learning) based on the natural science and empiricism during 17th through 18th century. This hall consists of 1 basement floor and 6 ground floors with the area of 10,196 square meters, which locates School of Social Sciences, Graduate Schools, Graduate School of Theology, Graduate School of Public Policy, Institute for East Asian Studies and etc.

X
Gonzaga Hall

18Gonzaga Hall

The name ‘Gonzaga’ of the Gonzaga Hall takes its name from the Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, who became the member of Society of Jesus in year 1585. He was canonized by Pope Benedictus XIII in December 31, 1726 and was respected and loved among the Catholics as well as the young people as a patron saint.
Gonzaga Plaza is an underground campus, which consists of 3 basement floors and 1 ground floor with the area of 1,912 square meters and total area of 6,734 square meters. This plaza locates parking facility for 585 cars, food court, fusion restaurants, bookstore, coffee shop, convenience store and etc. The parking facility has applied an entrance and exit control management system that can manage all the data of the cars entering the campus in real time. The underground campus was completed in August 25, 2008.

X
Back Gate

19Back Gate

Back gate locates in between Teilhard Hall and Gonzaga Hall and about 350 meters away from the Daeheung station(Subway Line No. 6).

X
Gonzaga Plaza

20Gonzaga Plaza

The name ‘Gonzaga’ of the Gonzaga Hall takes its name from the Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, who became the member of Society of Jesus in year 1585. He was canonized by Pope Benedictus XIII in December 31, 1726 and was respected and loved among the Catholics as well as the young people as a patron saint.
Gonzaga Plaza is an underground campus, which consists of 3 basement floors and 1 ground floor with the area of 1,912 square meters and total area of 6,734 square meters. This plaza locates parking facility for 585 cars, food court, fusion restaurants, bookstore, coffee shop, convenience store and etc. The parking facility has applied an entrance and exit control management system that can manage all the data of the cars entering the campus in real time. The underground campus was completed in August 25, 2008.

X
Teilhard Hall

21Teilhard Hall

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881~1955) is the member of the Society of Jesus from Orcines, France in the 19th century. In year 1920, he as a paleontologist and geologist taught geology and biology at the Catholic Institute of Paris and participated in significant scientific studies of Asia and Africa which took place in World War I and II. And in year 1927, he took part to discover Beijing. Teilhard, based on his various scientific research, anthropological and biological knowledge, suggested the philosophical theory, with the understanding that the evolutionary of inanimated objects to the living things is a massive movement towards God, which harmonizes the joys, sorrow, and spirituality.
Teilhard Hall was completed in August 2011, which consists of 1 basement floor and 11 ground floors as industry academy building to carry out industry academy projects. This hall locates project rooms, to carry out various kinds of large research businesses and projects run by the government and corporations, equipment rooms and Support Center for Foundation. Along with the Jeong Hasang Hall that is constructed as the open innovation building, Teilhard Hall was constructed to contribute towards the convergence research and break down the wall between different areas of the studies.

X
Jeong Hasang Hall

22Jeong Hasang Hall

Saint Paul Jeong Hasang (1795~1839) is the nephew of Jeong Yak-yong, who was one of the scholars of Silhak(practical learning) in the late Joseon dynasty of 18th century and the son of Jeong Yak-jong who was martyred in year 1801 when the Catholic Persecution took place. He traveled to Beijing, China multiple times to send priests to Korea and requested to establish a diocese in Korea. With this, the 254th Pope Gregory XVI separated Joseon church from Beijing diocese and to be under the Society of Foreign Missions of Paris. In 1836, Pierre Maubant from France as the priest, after this priesthood, to train the new priest as directed by priest Maubant, Kim Daegon was sent to study in Macao. Paul Jeong Hasang, who was martyred in year 1839 when the Gihae Persecution took place, was beatified by the 259th Pope Pius XI in year 1925 and was canonized by the 264th Pope John Paul II in year 1984.
Jeong Hasang Hall was completed as open innovation building in August 2011, which consists of 1 basement floor and 11 ground floors. This hall locates School of Humanities and International Cultures(Korean Language & Literature, History, Philosophy, Religious Studies, English Literature & Linguistics, American Culture, German Culture, French Culture, Chinese Culture, Japanese Culture), Cultural English, Graduate School of Education, Graduate School of International Studies, Office of International Affairs and etc. This hall being the international and humanities building, it is constructed to nurture talented students with professional knowledge and personality in internationalized humanities area based on the newest facilities of global lounge, international conference room, advanced studio and etc.

X
POSCO Francisco Hall

23POSCO Francisco Hall

In August 30, 2010, Sogang University and POSCO signed industrial cooperation agreement to support for constructing on campus research laboratories at Sogang University. This was done to promote the study embodiment and the commercialization of the artificial photosynthesis. With this, the hall was named after POSCO and in remembrance of Saint Francisco of Assisi(1181-1226), who emphasized the harmony of nature. The construction of this hall began in September 2011 and completed with the construction period of about 17 months. This hall consists of 8 ground floors and 2 basement floors with the area of 6,669.94 square meters, which are the areas for the research laboratories.

X
Ricci Hall Annex

24Ricci Hall Annex

Ricci Hall Annex was completed in December 1983, constructed in remembrance of Italian Jesuit priest Matteo Ricci, who entered in China in year 1583 and contributed in many areas such as publishing scientific books and introducing western calendar. This building locates Department of Mathematics, Department of Physics laboratories, Center for Quantum Spacetime, Accreditation Board of Engineering Education of Korea(ABEEK), Reserve Officers Training Corps(ROTC) and etc.

X
Sports Ground

25Sports Ground

Sports Ground, located in front of Ricci Hall, was reopened with the celebration of SOFEX(Sogang-Sophia Festival of Exchange, a regular match festival between Korea vs. Japan). To commemorate the 50th anniversary of Sogang University, an alumnus Yoo Young-du(English Language & Literature major, class of 1976) donated the lawn field in November 2, 2010.

X
Adam Schall Hall

26Adam Schall Hall

Adam Schall Hall was named after in remembrance of the Society of Jesus priest Adam Schall, who performed missionary work throughout the Ming and Qing dynasty period in year 1622. He made the first opportunity for Joseon to experience western civilization such as western science and Catholic doctrine through Crown Prince Soheon from Joseon, who was taken as a hostage. This hall consists of 1 basement floor and 10 ground floors with the area of 8,029 square meters. It locates Institute of Information & Communication and PC rooms on the 1st through 3rd floor, on the 3rd floor locates Graduate School of Information & Technology, on the 4th through 10th floor locates School of Engineering(Computer Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering). This hall also locates 52 faculty offices, 7 classrooms, 1 seminar room and various kinds of laboratories.

X
Ricci Hall

27Ricci Hall

Ricci Hall was named after in remembrance of Society of Jesus priest Matteo Ricci, who entered China in 1583 and lived there for 27 years under the period of Ming dynasty, introduced the western calendar and wrote various scientific books. This hall was completed in December 2006, which consists of 1 basement floor and 14 ground floors with the area of 21,721 square meters. It locates School of Natural Sciences(Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Life Sciences) and School of Engineering(Electronic Engineering, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering). Also locates the faculty offices for full-time faculties of each majors, laboratory for each major, 1 lecture theatre with 200 seats available, administrative office for undergraduate studies, dean’s office, seminar room, PC room and etc.

X
Jesuit Apostolic Center

28Jesuit Apostolic Center

Jesuit Apostolic Center laid apostolate in various areas of Society of Jesus and to carry this out more efficiently, the construction was considered from year 2002 and was completed after 1 year and 7 months since the ground-breaking ceremony, which took place in January 2008. Since Jesuit Apostolic Center is located next to Sogang University, which was constructed by the Society of Jesus, it is expected to pass on the world view and values of Catholicism to young people more effectively.
Postal Address: 35 Baekbeon-ro, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Telephone number: 02-3276-7733

X
Kim Daegon Hall

29Kim Daegon Hall

Kim Daegon Hall was named after in remembrance of the priest Saint Kim Daegon Andrea, who was martyred in 1846. This hall was constructed in November 1984, which consists of 1 basement floor and 5 ground floors with the area of 14,283 square meters. It locates School of Economics, faculty offices of Graduate School of Economics, undergraduate classrooms and etc.

X
Bellarmino Dormitory

30Bellarmino Dormitory

Bellarmino Dormitory was named after in remembrance of Saint Roberto Bellarmino (1542-1621), who was one of the most important figures of theologian also the guardian of the church. Bellarmino became the member of the Society of Jesus in such a young age and in year 1560, he first preached as a priest. When Pope Clement VIII appointed Bellarmino as a cardinal and said, “he had not his equal for learning.” At chruch in celebration for the Saint’s birthday as September 17 and generally known as the name Roberto. This building is the student dormitory, which was completed in February 2003, which consists of 1 basement floor and 9 ground floors with the area of 3,808 square meters and can accommodate up to 336 people.

X
Sogang Bldg.

31Sogang Bldg.

Sogang Building consists of 2 basement floors and 8 ground floors with the area of 5,153 square meters. This building was completed in April 1996 and currently locates SLP headquarters, Converging Research Headquarters for Frontier Medical Instruments and etc.

X
South Gate

32South Gate

South Gate is located in between Arrupe Hall and Sogang Building and also about 300 meters away from Daeheung station(Subway Line No. 6).

X
Arrupe Hall

33Arrupe Hall

Arrupe Hall was named after in remembrance of Pedro Arrupe (1907-1991), who was known as “a second Ignatius”, “a refounder of the Society in the lift of Vatican II” and was most concerned that the Jesuits to make a commitment to addressing the needs of the poor. This hall was completed in October 2002, which consists of 1 basement floor and 11 ground floors with the area of 8,462 square meters and locates Admissions Office, University Museum, Institute for International Culture & Education, Alumni Association as well as bank, wedding hall, restaurants and etc.

X
Gymnasium

34Gymnasium

Gymnasium was completed in year 1980, which consists of 1 basement floor and 3 ground floors with the area of 5,632 square meters that can hold up to 3,500 audiences. This building locates volleyball and basketball courts, 3 faculty offices, 1 administrative office, 1 classroom, 14 student club activity rooms, 3 table tennis rooms, 2 training rooms, 3 handball courts(racket ball courts), 2 locker and shower rooms for the team, 2 changing and shower rooms, 1 sanitary room, 1 equipment room and such facilities that are worthy of the name as the university gymnasium.

X
Youth Plaza

35Youth Plaza

Youth Plaza is the wide lawn plaza, which demolished the old basketball court and constructed in year 1990, along with the opening of Albatross tower to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the university. This plaza was also named as the Herzog Plaza in remembrance of the visit of the President Roman Herzog from Germany.
Under the Youth Plaza, the parking facilities, parking management office and etc were constructed, which can park up to 299 cars at the same time with the area of 10,777 square meters and consists of 4 floors. This area began construction from October 10, 1996 and was completed in November 19, 1997.

X
Berchmans Woojung Hall (BW Hall)

36Berchmans Woojung Hall (BW Hall)

Saint John Berchmans (1599-1621), who was a Jesuit seminarian showed that the true way to live as a Catholic is to maintain righteousness and do the best in everyday life to maintain virtue. Hoping that this attitude is remembered by Sogang University students, this hall was constructed with the help of Lee Jung Geun, Boo Young group’s chairman, whose philosophy was that education is the investment for the future. This hall was named after his catholic name, Berchmans.
Berchmans Hall consists of 1 basement floor and 7 ground floors, which locates facilities of students for the enhancement of their public welfare, cafeteria, Support Center for Students with Disabilities, Health Service Room, Post office, Office of International Affairs, Center for student culture, Graduate School of Management of Technology, Sogang Open-innovation Center and etc.

X
Berchmans Woojung Hall (BW Hall)

36Berchmans Woojung Hall (BW Hall)

Saint John Berchmans (1599-1621), who was a Jesuit seminarian showed that the true way to live as a Catholic is to maintain righteousness and do the best in everyday life to maintain virtue. Hoping that this attitude is remembered by Sogang University students, this hall was constructed with the help of Lee Jung Geun, Boo Young group’s chairman, whose philosophy was that education is the investment for the future. This hall was named after his catholic name, Berchmans.
Berchmans Hall consists of 1 basement floor and 7 ground floors, which locates facilities of students for the enhancement of their public welfare, cafeteria, Support Center for Students with Disabilities, Health Service Room, Post office, Office of International Affairs, Center for student culture, Graduate School of Management of Technology, Sogang Open-innovation Center and etc.

X
Berchmans Woojung Hall (BW Hall)

AEDAED

Saint John Berchmans (1599-1621), who was a Jesuit seminarian showed that the true way to live as a Catholic is to maintain righteousness and do the best in everyday life to maintain virtue. Hoping that this attitude is remembered by Sogang University students, this hall was constructed with the help of Lee Jung Geun, Boo Young group’s chairman, whose philosophy was that education is the investment for the future. This hall was named after his catholic name, Berchmans.
Berchmans Hall consists of 1 basement floor and 7 ground floors, which locates facilities of students for the enhancement of their public welfare, cafeteria, Support Center for Students with Disabilities, Health Service Room, Post office, Office of International Affairs, Center for student culture, Graduate School of Management of Technology, Sogang Open-innovation Center and etc.